Sunday, May 23, 2010

Project Infinity- Draft

When you engage yourself in an activity for pleasure, it’s called a hobby. When you have love for that activity, it’s called a passion. My passion started as just an activity, but has turned into my only passion. I started out in the tech team at church 3 years ago, as just a Sunday activity.
But after volunteering and attending church every Sunday, my love for church increased and so did my passion for church and God. Going into Junior year, also known as the most important year, I feel that I want to pursue my passion for church as a career, and become a pastor.

As a pastor, you lead and shepherd the church, along with other numerous rolls and responsibilities. For some pastors, the decision to become a pastor needs alot of convincing. Some pastors have to leave behind a good job, for example Pastor Dave Barr of New Hope Windward. When Pastor Dave was called to be a pastor, it wasn’t an overnight decison. He would have to leave his 6 figure paying job, but the desire to become a pastor tugged on his heart. It’s kind of like that scripture that says “seek and you will find.” Pastor Dave seeked for signs from God telling him that it was his calling to become a pastor. Eventually, he was convinced that it was time to surrender and become a pastor. To be a pastor, is different from many other careers. You don’t need a degree or college schooling, but what you do need is a pastoral license, but more importantly a heart for the Lord, a close relationship with God and your family, be willing to become a life long student of Christ, be willing to constantly improve, forgive everyone, and have a passion for God.

Before I started volunteering on the tech team at church, I never fully understood the hard work and time it took for a pastor, to be a pastor! Some people think that you just read the bible for a few minutes, then go up there and just speak. I learned that pastors actually have endless hours of preperation for a sermon. They spend alot of time praying, writing, and prepping. Being a leader of a church can get tiresome and drain your energy, not to mention the public speaking! Of course, after a while you get used to speaking in front of a crowd, but for some speaking can get real nerve racking. I got my first taste of the nerve racking experience when I made the decision to go to the high school ministry at my church, and encourage them to volunteer in the church community. I wrote my testimony about my experience volunteering in the church, and how it changed my life, and my relationship with God. Once I finished writing my testimony, I practiced and practiced and practiced! I prayed to God for help in encouraging my peers to volunteer in the church. When the day finally came, I was nervous and scared to go and talk to the high schoolers, but of course I went and spoke! The experience wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. I know that I have alot of work to do before I can become a pastor.

Being a pastor is without a doubt, hard work! It’s like having a bunch of jobs at once. There’s always something that drives pastors to keep going though, it’s their passion for church and God. Without true, genuine passion I would make your career as a pastor harder. You have to be willing to give alot of your time and effort into your ministry. You have to have leadership, empathy, passion for church, faith in God and love for others.You have to be willing to be a brave “mighty Chrisian warrior” for God.

1 comment:

lsueoka said...

Hi Destrie,

Your reflection on this project is definitely "from the heart" :) It shows your passion for your calling and the research that you did to gain more background on actual preparation and duties of a pastor.
Nice job, too, on sharing your "impact activity."
Here are my recommendations:
-- first off, don't forget to give me a working DVD of your video...I need to be able to play it on a PC or a DVD player
-- then, I recommend you include your "testimony" that you presented as part of your project, and that in your reflection you include the responses of your audience...what were their comments and questions for you? did some of them volunteer?
-- I would also like to see a few more specifics about the different roles (note the correct spelling--roles, not rolls) that a pastor must fulfill as well as the training he must have
-- Lastly, read the documents carefully when you finalize. There are some errors in mechanics that need to be corrected

good job...good luck in your calling!
mrs s