Sunday, March 7, 2010

"I Believe"- Draft

As a teen, I observe a lot of what my fellow peers do. One common thing that I've noticed that almost all teens do, is complain. We complain about anything and everything. We complain about our parents, our teachers, our school work, and even the food we eat. Anything and everything. I believe that we all should be thankful for what we have, because there's always someone that has it worse than you. I've come to believe in this very important belief, when I was growing up, from an experience that I'll never forget.

I walked along side my grandma and a stranger who rolled a cart full of food for us. We walked through various tables, each filled with what seemed like, mountains of food. At each table stood a friendly volunteer, that would place an item on our cart, and smile warmly. When we finished walking through the whole building, the stranger packed up all our things in a big box and walked with us to our car.

This was my first time at a food bank. When I was little, I always thought food banks were for homeless people, and usually I would be giving to the food banks, not taking. I would never imagine myself going to one! In fact, the way people talked about food banks, it made you seem almost hopeless and poor, and that was partially true for me. At that time my parents were separated, and we were left with little money. As my friends would complain about not getting that cute dress they saw, or about what they had for dinner the night before, I was thankful for everything. I learned the lesson, that take some people their whole life to learn, be thankful for everything you have, because someone always has it worse than you. At the food banks, I saw people that had nothing but the clothes on their back, and even though my situation was bad, their's was worse.

Too often, we all take for granted what we have in life. Now, even if I go through a rough patch in life, or even a rough day I don't sit in my own misery and say "I hate my life! I'm having the worst day ever!" because I know that someone out there is having a harder time then me, and I know that I should be thankful. My name is Destrie, and I believe in being thankful for everything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Destreezy,

This was a really touching essay. I liked how you started off your essay, and how you summarized it and put it as your last paragraph. An improvement is you should use more of your voice. I know you guys are stressing up there in Cali but I know that when you do your final draft, it'll be a gazillion times better. Use more of your voice when you're talking about how you don't like it when teens say that they don't like their life or exaggerate a little about the way you felt when you were in the food bank place. Also your emotions and what was going through your head. Overall, this was a great essay and I hope you do spectacular on your final. And you guys are coming home tonight! ^______^ I missed you guys!!

<3 Michelle

Daryenne. said...

Destrie, you did a great job on your essay. You make mine feel like crap. haha! Your thoughts are very well organized. You're right about complaining. I notice that majority of us MeneMACers do complain alot, Even myself. After reading your essay it kinda makes me feel bad. We have it good in our lives compared to someone elsewhere around the world. It makes me feel bad for complaining even when I'm joking around. I think you could probably make the second paragraph better with your word choice. Be more descriptive and experiment with words to make it sound better. This story is touching, but it could be even more so. Overall, good job :)

- Daryenne'Noel

lsueoka said...

Hi Destrie,
Wow...neat job of sharing your beliefs and how they were shaped. Like your teammates, I am impressed at how you described your experience and organized your essay.
I think they did a pretty good job on their recommendations and commendations, too. Daryenne's comment about the second paragraph was accurate. And I think it would be good to describe, not only the people giving out the food, but also those who were less fortunate than you. That would be the "show not tell" and would provide the proof when you say, later, in your belief statement that you don't believe in complaining and are always grateful for what you have.
Nice job!
mrs s