Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"First Blog"- Writing Experiences

My writing experiences include writing essays and taking English courses through out my school years. I haven't had much experience with writing, beside school assignments and writing basic 2-3 page essays. When I came to Moanalua, I learned a lot of different writing traits I should use to write a good essay or story. Before high school I wasn't aware of Sentence Fluency, Word Choice, Voice,etc. Since I've been through the meneMAC course last year, I've learned a lot about good writing, and has made my writing stronger, and more interesting. I've learned how to "show" my story NOT "tell" it!

My goals for my writing is to continue with showing my stories and not telling them, and to bring my voice out more when I write. I want people to be able to read my writing, and tell all my emotions and point of views that are in the story. I also want to apply my 6 traits A LOT in my writing, so that I have noticeably great writing!

1 comment:

lsueoka said...

Hi Destrie,

Glad to hear the 6 traits are working for you…I’d agree that your writing has gotten stronger throughout the year. And, yes, we’ll continue to refine our achievements in the 6 traits, this year focusing more on argumentative writing.

As for your pro/con pre-assessment, here are my comments: I agree with your overall comments that the argument was clear but could have used more and better ideas. This is a good review of our KC3 writing last year and a good preview of the “risky business” writing for this year. The arguments are stronger if you can incorporate material from various sources. Thus, for this impromptu, it would have strengthened the essay to use materials both from the iPod and the “digital natives” articles.

mrs s